In the northeast Georgia Piedmont, between the Savannah and Broad rivers, 
lies Elbert County. The area was originally settled before the American Revolution (1775-83) by pioneers filtering into the region from Virginia and the Carolinas. The legal occupation of the lands that would later become Elbert County took place on June 1, 1773, when Georgia's colonial governorJames Wright, negotiated a land cession with local Creek and Cherokee leaders. The cession, known as the New Purchase, contained about 2 million acres north of Augusta and was originally designated as Wilkes County.
During the American Revolution Wilkes County became the scene of severe partisan fighting among Tories, patriots, and Indians.